Monday, February 19, 2007

RAINY DAY FISHING

There is nothing quite like a rainy day in Sumatra. Sunday is the only day that Carmen and I have off work, so we decided to head for "radio tower" island rain or shine in the early morning. We don't know what the proper name for the island is, since it is so small, but it has a large tower on it, so "radio tower island" seems to fit.
The day wasn't going as planned; I broke out in the night with a rash all over my body (some sort of reaction to the heat or something I ate). I was quite miserable with the rash and lack of sleep, so we decided to wait for the afternoon to head to the island. After an anti-histamine my rash disappeared, but when we went to leave a big thunderstorm was starting. Well, as I said before, rain or shine, so we went fishing in the rain. It was great because it was the first time since being here that we have felt the slightest bit cold! Yes, we had chattering teeth, and we loved it, it was great and refreshing. I got lucky and hooked into a nice fish (shrimp for bait works well), and after 45 minutes of toughing it out in the rain we left for home. I cooked the fish Canadian style, with lime, onion, and black pepper. It was really good, but kind of small! Oh well, I'm having better luck now! This Saturday night I'm going Lobster fishing with one of our local staff who knows the area; it should be a lot of fun. Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that as big as it gets???? It is nothing more than a mouthful. Lets see some BIG stuff and maybe a lobster or two. Love and hugs. Mum