Wednesday, July 18, 2007

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOTS

We haven't seen a lot of snakes in Indonesia with the exception of a few dead ones on the road. In Aceh I saw an honest 6' foot python road killed and a few smaller species; but this week we have had two encounters.

On Sunday night some of our local staff were sitting outside talking when suddenly a snake decided to interrupt their party and inspect our footwear. Hesti, one of the watsan staff, grabbed a shoe and swung at it...at this point the snake raised up and hissed at him, but he ended up killing it anyway. He told me it was a "cobra", but there is some debate about this since the locals say that there aren't any cobras on Nias Island. It wasn't very big, so he dug a hole and buried it before I had a chance to look at it.

Then, just yesterday, I went out near the tool shed and saw a small snake close to the house. I quickly grabbed a dustpan (with a long handle) and smashed it...the snake kind of ended up in two pieces. I'm not sure what kind of snake it was, but the locals were saying it was a poisonous one. It was brownish red with a black and white head and a yellow / orange belly. Usually when a snake has that many colours it's a warning for other things to "stay away" from it (poisonous). I'm trying to look up what species it is to make sure, but haven't found it yet. It's a good thing we sleep in a tent that zips up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disgusting. That makes my feet tingle with the thought of snakes. I am actually suprised you haven't seen more. I would like to send you a shovel with a good size handle to chop their heads off. Yuck. Better you than me. I am a wimp for the creepy crawlies.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Dude, snakes creep me out. I have to kill one or two to get over this irrational fear I have of them. Or... you could do it for me???

Hey, have you seem my bass pics yet? Pretty sweet! Check Dan Z's blog or my facebook page.

Miss ya, bro.